Recommended Oga Tourist Attractions
Here at Namahage Museum you can gain a deeper knowledge of "Namahage", a traditional festival of Oga. The exhibition of more than 150 pieces of Namahage masks in actual use in each area of Oga City is definitely worth seeing. The Namahage masks vary from area to area, each with their own unique characteristics. The "Transformation Corner" inside the museum allows you to transform into a Namahage by wearing the masks and costume, and is popular among visitors. In addition, the "Oga Shinzan Folklore Museum" near the museum shows performances of Namahage tradition on the night of New Year's Eve. Here, you get to experience the tradition first hand.
Oga Aquarium GAO
Oga Aquarium GAO is an aquarium standing at the edge of the picturesque scenery of the ocean. In the "Ocean Big Water Tank of Oga" filled with 800 tons of water, are 2000 fish of 40 different species swimming freely. It is the only aquarium to exhibit the Sandfish of Akita Prefecture throughout the year. Polar Bear "Gota", as well as penguins and seals, are popular animals in the aquarium. There are even restaurants allowing you a view of the aquariums while enjoying your meal.
Nyudozaki that is located at the 40°N latitude line, northwest of Oga Peninsular is a tourist attraction in Oga worthy of noting. The place was also selected by "Nihon-no-Yuhi-100Sen" as one of the best places to view sunsets. During sunset, families and couples visit the place to gaze at the sun setting into the Sea of Japan. Experience the gold coloured sunset scenery with your loved ones.
Akagami Shrine Goshado
The Akagami Shrine Goshado is located at the end of the "999 rock steps", rumoured to have been built by Oni (Demons). The five main Shinto shrine buildings are said to be built during the Edo period and there are 5 Namahages enshrined there. The Akagami of Akagami Shrine Goshado was known as the Wu Chinese Emperor of Han. Oga has a lot of legends and myths related to Akagami and Oni. In addition, there are also wonder spots such as "Sugatami-no-Ido", that lets you take a peek into the remaining life of the person standing beside you, and "Mitarai-no-Ike".
Places of Interest in the Oga Onsen Village
Namahage Taiko Drums Live
A live taiko showcase of local young people performing enthusiastically as Namahage at Onsen Community House Gofu (walking distance from the hotel.) It is also a highly reputed event in Oga, which should not be missed.
- Period: Mid Apr. to Mid Nov.
- Time: 20:30 onwards
- Fee: 540 yen (Free of charge on weekends)
Akita Shamisen Mini Live
This event is held at the Oga Onsenkyo's Fuku-no-Ya. It is an exciting event with the inn's customers wearing yukata clapping and singing together, in accordance to the inn's motto of being vibrant and welcoming.
- Location: Fuku-no-Ya
- Time: 1st round starts at 20:00, 2nd round starts at 21:30
- No performances on Tuesdays and 21:30 on Mondays
- Fee: 1000 Yen per person (1 drink included)
- Remarks: There might be delays for performance and tickets are limited. No orders are taken during a performance.
Kandou-no-Yuhi-Go (Nyudozaki Sunset Viewing Bus)
Nyudozaki is about a 10-minute drive from the Oga Onsen Village. The place was selected by "Nihon-no-Yuhi-100Sen" as one of the best places to view the sunset. In order to view this magnificent sunset, the departure time for the bus travelling between the hotel and Nyudozaki is changed to match the time for the sunset.
- Application: Apply at hotel front desk
- Time: Adjusted every time to the time of sunset
- Price: Adult 1000 Yen (To and fro/Half price for kids) *postcard of sunset scenery included
- Caution: Services may not be available if the total number of people does not exceed 4 people or if bad weather is forecasted.
Gofu Namahage Wall Ornament Hands-On Experience
The workshop for handmade "Namahage Wall Ornament" is held at the Oga Onsen Cultural Exchange Museum. How about adding a "Namahage Wall Ornament" creation to your memory of Oga? People of all ages can participate in this event.
- Venue: Oga Onsen Cultural Exchange Museum Gofu (1 minute walk from hotel)
- Duration: All year (Reservation required)
- Time: 9:00 a.m. ~ 5:00 p.m.
- Time needed: 30 minutes ~ 50 minutes
- Contents: "Namahage Wall Ornament" creation experience (All creations can be taken home)
- Price: 800 Yen per person (Free for escorts)
- Capacity: 15 person (Inquiry is needed for groups)
- Remarks: workshop may be cancelled according to circumstances.